It’s the middle of summer and most of us are not only HOT, but we are also not in our normal sleep routines. So what can we do to get the most restful sleep? We are glad you asked. Here are some tips:
- Stick to a sleep schedule. It’s harder during the summer since the sun sets later, but sticking to a schedule helps regulate the body and helps you fall and stay asleep better.
- Exercise daily. Proper exercise allows the body to work the bones, muscles and joints it is meant to endure in a day. All parts of the body need sleep and if they are worked properly, they will rest properly.
- Practice a nighttime ritual. This is a great time to read a story, shut down bright lights and wind down from the day. The more relaxed your body becomes, the easier it will be to get to sleep.
- Rethink naps. Smaller children may still require an afternoon nap. It it becomes more difficult for yourself or your child to get to bed at night, rethink the afternoon catnaps.
- Create a tranquil sleep environment. Ensure the bedroom is a cool temperature, free from excess noise or lighting.
- Avoid eating or drinking before bed. This includes adult beverages and especially spicy or heavy foods. If you are your kiddo gets hungry before bed, try a light snack 45 minutes before it’s lights out.
- Fight the light. Rooms should be dark when it’s bedtime. I you need a light to get to the bathroom, consider installing a dim nightlight that will make it easier to get back to sleep.
- No late night TV. TV light suppresses the production of melatonin, a natural chemical your body makes to help with sleep. And television can also be more stimulating for the body rather than relaxing.
- Limit caffeine. It’s amazing how long a can of soda or coffee can stimulate the body throughout the day. Caffeine can limit sleep hours even after 12 hours of drinking it.
- Sleep on a comfortable mattress. Make sure your mattress is comfortable and supportive. The one you have been using for years may have exceeded its life expectancy – about 9 or 10 years for most good quality mattresses. Have comfortable pillows and make the room attractive and inviting for sleep but also free of allergens that might affect you and objects that might cause you to slip or fall if you have to get up during the night.
Need a mattress? We recently had the opportunity to test out the new Eve Mattress. Here are our thoughts.
Developers of Eve Mattress spent 12 years and developed more than 70,000 prototypes before launching the perfect mattress to the world. This new age memory foam mattress with no springs attached distributes pressure evenly, resulting in an incredibly supportive and comfortable sleeping surface.
- The mattress has three layers. The high density base layer is 18 cm of ultra resilient bas foam. It provides the foundation and supports the other two layers. The middle layer is 30% more breathable foam with open air technology that encourages air flow. The top layer is 3cm of cooling foam to keep the body cool and rested throughout the night.
- The eve mattress is recommended to be used with sprung bases to give a bit of a bounce from below and complement the eve’s bouncy top. It can also be placed on slats without a box spring without any loss in comfort.
- Every mattress comes with free delivery and a 100 trial.
Eve Mattresses prices start at $599.
This was my first memory foam mattress and all I can say is that I will never buy another type of mattress again. I was worried about not being able to test it out since I can only get it online, and that after time the foam would sag or that I would feel my mate moving around during the night, but Eve Mattress really makes for a restful sleep. I have had my queen mattress for a few months now and I love it. I am actually in the market for another mattress for my son’s room and I plan to order from Eve Mattress.