Picture Books Celebrating Groundbreaking Women:
- ROSIE THE RIVETER by Sarah Dvojack (Imprint, October 26, 2021, Ages 3-6): This gorgeous and thoroughly researched picture book highlights how an iconic image of a working woman evolved into an inspirational symbol of hope and strength for all girls and women.
- IDA B. WELLS, VOICE OF TRUTH by Michelle Duster; illustrations by Laura Freeman (Henry Holt and Co. (BYR), on sale January 4, 2022, Ages 4-8): An inspiring picture book biography of groundbreaking journalist and civil rights activist Ida B. Wells, as told by her great-granddaughter, Michelle Duster.
- SING, ARETHA, SING! by Hanif Abdurraqib; illustrated by Ashley Evans (Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR), on sale February 1, 2022, Ages 4-8): Here is an empowering picture book biography of Aretha Franklin and her role in civil rights that’s perfect for Women’s History Month and Black History Month.
- COLORS OF AWESOME! by Eva Chen; illustrated by Derek Desierto (Feiwel & Friends, on sale February 8, 2022, Ages 1-3): From Instagram superstar and New York Times–bestselling author Eva Chen, here is a primer in prominent female icons from throughout history that doubles as a fun introduction to colors.
- THAT’S BETTY! THE STORY OF BETTY WHITE by Gregory Bonsignore; illustrated by Jennifer M. Potter (Henry Holt BYR, on sale February 22, 2022, Ages 2-6): A joyful picture book biography that celebrates the life and achievements of TV legend, pioneer, and activist Betty White.
- THE BOOK OF SISTERS by Olivia Meikle and Katie Nelson (Neon Squid US, on sale February 22, 2022, Ages 8-10): Queens. Warriors. Witches. Revolutionaries. History is full of sisters making their mark. Meet incredible women in this nonfiction book for kids, from Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret to tennis superstars Venus and Serena Williams.
- I AM MOZART, TOO: THE LOST GENIUS OF MARIA ANNA MOZART by Audrey Ades; illustrated by Adelina Lirius (Farrar, Straus, and Giroux (BYR) on sale February 22, 2022, Ages 4-8): I Am Mozart, Too is a picture book biography about Wolfgang’s older sister, Maria Anna Mozart, who was a child prodigy and a secret composer, perfect for Women’s History Month.
Middle Grade Titles Celebrating Groundbreaking Women:
- LATINITAS by Juliet Menéndez (Henry Holt and Co., on sale February 23, 2021, Ages 8-12): In this collection of short biographies from all over Latin America and across the United States, Juliet Menéndez explores the first small steps that set the Latinitas off on their journeys. With gorgeous, hand-painted illustrations, Menéndez shines a spotlight on the power of childhood dreams.
Young Adult Titles Celebrating Groundbreaking Women:
- DAUGHTERS OF A DEAD EMPIRE by Carolyn T. O’Neil (Roaring Brook Press, on sale February 22, 2022, Ages 12 and up): It’s been 100 years since the execution of Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna, but the fascination with her story and the subsequent rumors of her survival live on–from the *classic* 1997 animated movie to the recent Broadway musical. This book is perfect for every young reader who has ever been fascinated by her story.