Why pay big bucks for a snow globe when you and your kids can design your own for pennies? It’s simple to transform a plain glass jar into a winter wonderland scene created to your specifications. You might want to make several scenes, one for each of the bedrooms.
Time involved: One to two hours
- Old jars with lids (Mason jars, peanut butter jars, and baby-food jars work well.)
- Glue gun
- Plastic Christmas figures (Check craft or hobby stores for the figures used in “under-the-tree” scenes.)
- White rocks, marbles, or decorative glass pieces
- Food coloring (optional)
- White glitter and/or white confetti (Use metallic or plastic confetti, not paper.)
- Wash and dry the jar and the lid. Glue the figures and the rocks to the inside of the jar lid using a glue gun.
- Fill the jar with cold water to within 1/3 inch of the top. If desired, add a drop of food coloring (blue makes a nice sky effect). Add 2 tablespoons glitter and/or confetti.
- Squeeze a line of hot glue around the inside rim of the lid. Immediately seal the jar with the lid.
Credit: Family Education Network: http://www.familyeducation.com