- 5 large slices country bread, torn into large pieces
- 6 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 5 large apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled and sliced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3/4 packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°. In the bowl of a food processor, process bread until coarse crumbs form. Transfer to a large baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Toast until golden, 5 to 7 minutes.
- When bread crumbs are toasted, transfer to a bowl and mix with melted butter and granulated sugar.
- Toss apples with lemon juice. In a separate medium bowl, stir to combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- To assemble: add half the apples to the bottom of a large baking dish. Top with an even layer of 1/2 the brown sugar mixture and and 1/2 the bread crumbs. Repeat, using remaining ingredients, ending on bread crumbs.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake until bread crumbs are golden and apples are tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Serve hot with ice cream.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2019 www.delish.com