- 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast or 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 med onion chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers chopped remove seeds to make it less spicy
- 2 poblano peppers chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 15 oz of diced tomatoes or 4 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 15 oz can of pumpkin purée
- 2 small cans of diced green chili peppers
- 1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cupfull fat coconut milk or
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese*optional but makes for a thicker and creamier chili
- Chopped cilantro shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack for garnish
- Begin by heating a large pot to medium high heat. Cut your raw chicken breasts in small chunks (or skip this and use pre-cooked chicken). Coat the pot with oil, toss in chicken and cook 3-4 minutes per side or until no longer pink. Set aside. Keep oil in pot (or add more if needed).
- Place onion in pot and cook for 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Add both poblano and jalapeño peppers. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add chicken back to the pot. Coat chicken and vegetables with spices and salt. Add tomatoes, pumpkin, green chilis, and chicken broth and heat to medium high stirring for a few minutes to let flavors mix well.
- Reduce heat to low, and add coconut milk or cream cheese. Continue to stir until milk or cheese is well incorporated and creamy.
- Serve hot and garnish with fresh cilantro.
*If using the coconut milk, you can also add in 3 tbsp of nutritional yeast for a “cheesy” flavor.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2019 www.wholesomelicious.com