- 4 dried guajillo chile peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 2 dried ancho chile peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 2 dried cascabel chile peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces dried white hominy, picked over and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (leaves and tender stems), plus more for topping
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, plus more for topping
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 8)
- Sliced radishes, crumbled queso fresco, sour cream and/or shredded cabbage, for topping
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Set an Instant Pot to saute on high. When the pot registers hot, add the dried chiles and cook until just beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 1 cup water. Turn off the pot and put on the lid. Let sit until the chiles are completely softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Use a rubber spatula to push the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a small bowl.
- Reset the pot to saute on high. When the pot registers hot, add the vegetable oil. Add the onion, garlic, 1 tablespoon salt and a few grinds of pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn off the pot.
- Add 6 cups water, the chile puree, hominy, cilantro, oregano and bay leaf to the pot. Put on and lock the lid; make sure the steam valve is in the sealing position. Set the pot to pressure-cook on high for 1 hour 10 minutes. When the time is up, carefully turn the steam valve to the venting position to manually release the pressure. Turn off the pot and remove the lid.
- Add the chicken to the pot and press to submerge in the liquid. Replace and lock the lid; return the steam valve to the sealing position. Set the pot to pressure-cook on high for 10 minutes. When the time is up, carefully turn the steam valve to the venting position to manually release the pressure. Turn off the pot and remove the lid.
- Discard the bay leaf. Transfer the chicken to a rimmed baking sheet and shred into bite-size pieces with two forks. Return to the pot along with any accumulated juices and stir to combine. Divide among bowls and top with dried oregano, radishes, queso fresco, cilantro, sour cream and/or cabbage. Serve with lime wedges.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2019 www.foodnetwork.com