- 1 pound – 1 ½ pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (540ml/19oz) red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 – 2 tablespoons (8g – 16g) chili powder (depends on your chili powder’s spiciness & preference)
- 1 tablespoon (6g) cumin seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon (1g) dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- Optional: 1 tablespoon (15ml) apple cider vinegar
- Brown sugar, kosher salt, black pepper to taste
Umami Chicken Stock Mixture
- 1 cup (250ml) unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) light soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons (49g) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon (2.5g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- Sour cream
- Jalapeno pepper, diced and seeded
- Green onions
- Cheddar cheese
- Prepare the Pressure Cooker: Heat up your pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté button and Adjust once to Sauté More function) over medium high heat. Ensure your pot is as hot as it can be (Instant Pot: wait until indicator says HOT).
- Brown the Ground Beef: Season ground beef generously with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in pressure cooker. Ensure to coat the oil over whole bottom of the pot.
- Add ground beef in pressure cooker. The ground beef will start to release moisture. At the 5-minute mark, remove the ground beef juice and reserve it in a small mixing bowl.
- Allow the ground beef to brown. Stir occasionally until they are slightly crisped and browned (~5 – 7 minutes). Taste and adjust the seasoning with more kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Mix the Chicken Stock Mixture: While the ground beef is browning, mix 1 cup (250ml) unsalted chicken stock, 2 tbsp (30ml) fish sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) light soy sauce, 3 tbsp (49g) tomato paste, and 1 tsp (2.5g) unsweetened cocoa powder in a 500ml measuring cup.
- Sauté Onion, Garlic and Spices: Add diced onions, minced garlic, 1 tbsp ground cumin seed, 2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp dried oregano. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the spices start to release their fragrance. Stir frequently.
- Deglaze: Pour in ½ cup (125ml) of the Umami Chicken Stock Mixture, fully deglaze the bottom of the pot by scrubbing all the flavorful brown bits with a wooden spoon. Mix the brown bits with the stock mixture.
- Pressure Cook the Chili: Add in the reserved beef juice (from Step 2). Pour in the remaining Umami Chicken Stock Mixture. Add 2 cans of drained red kidney beans. Mix well. Pour in 1 can of crushed tomatoes with all the juice on top. Do not mix. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure using “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” button for 10 minutes + Natural Release. Open the lid carefully.
- Reduce and Season: If the chili is too runny, give it a quick stir and cook for another few minutes over medium heat (Instant Pot: Press Sauté button). Taste and season with brown sugar (we used 1 tbsp), kosher salt and black pepper.
- 10.Optional: Add 1 tbsp of Apple cider vinegar. Note that the vinegar will significantly change the flavor profile.
- Serve: Garnish chili with optional ingredients. Serve over your favorite side dishes. Enjoy~
Chili Powder: remember to adjust the amount of chili powder if you’re serving this dish to kids (use 1 tablespoon or less Chili Powder depending on the spiciness of your chili powder and spicy-tolerance).
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2019 www.pressurecookrecipes.com