- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) butter, softened (I use salted)
- 20 ounces marshmallows, large or mini (see note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of coarse, kosher salt
- 7 cups (7 ounces) rice krispies (or other brand) cereal
- 20-24 Oreo cookies (about 8-10 ounces), coarsely chopped or crushed
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9X13-inch pan. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter on low or medium-low heat and let it cook until the solids start to turn golden brown and it smells caramelly and fragrant (here’s a browned butter how-to if you’d like a visual), 3-4 minutes.
- Add the marshmallows and cook on low, stirring constantly until mostly melted, a few small lumps here and there are ok. Add the vanilla and salt and stir to combine.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the rice krispies and Oreos. Stir until evenly combined; scrape up the bottom of the pan really well to make sure to incorporate all the marshmallows.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared pan and press the mixture into the pan with lightly greased hands (smashing them down too hard will result in firm rice krispie treats – so use a gentle hand if you want them chewy). Let cool before slicing into squares.
Brown Butter: You certainly don’t have to brown the butter in this recipe, but it adds great flavor.
Marshmallows: 20 ounces of marshmallows translates into about 10 cups of mini marshmallows or 75 large marshmallows. If you like the slightly less gooey texture of the classic rice krispie treats recipe, use 16 ounces of marshmallows instead of 20 ounces.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2019 www.melskitchencafe.com