- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a small bowl, mix softened butter and lemon peel until blended. In another bowl, toss strawberries with sugar; let stand while preparing shortcakes.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon peel and salt; cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk milk and egg yolk until blended; add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 4-5 times. Divide dough into four portions; pat each into a 3/4-in.-thick circle. Place 2 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- To serve, split shortcakes in half. Top bottoms with whipped cream and strawberries. Spread tops with lemon-butter mixture; place over strawberries.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2019 www.tasteofhome.com