Almond milk is a popular milk substitute for those who are lactose intolerant or have gluten and casein allergies. It also has a high nutritional content, it’s low in calories and assists in weight management.
It’s also a little more expensive than regular milk but What’s Up Moms has come up with a great recipe to make it yourself and save you a few pennies.
– 1 cup whole raw almonds
– 3.5 cups filtered water (plus more water for soaking)
– 1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
– 1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
1) Cover almonds in water and soak at least 8 hours, preferably overnight. (or cover in boiling water and soak for an hour)
2) Drain almonds, add to blender. Add 3.5 cups filtered water and blend for about 1 minute, until almonds are finely blended.
3) Strain in nut bag, jelly strainer or fine mesh sieve.
4) Stir in flavors if desired. Refrigerate and enjoy within 3 days.