- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 3/4 cups good-quality dark rum
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Ingredients: Rum Syrup
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup good-quality dark rum
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- For the buttered rum drizzle
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons good-quality dark or spiced rum
- 2 ounces (1⁄2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- In a glass measuring cup, pour the buttermilk, add the rum and vanilla, and whisk or stir until combined. Add the flour mixture to the mixer bowl in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat for 10 to 15 seconds after each addition, or until incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix again for 10 seconds.
- In a Bundt pan, pour the batter, smooth the top, and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool for about 30 minutes. Use a small knife or a very small offset spatula to loosen the sides of the cake from the pan. Turn the cake out onto the rack and let it cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan with high sides, gently stir together the butter, sugar, and 3 tablespoons of water. Turn the heat to medium-high and continue stirring until the sugar dissolves and the butter is melted. Stop stirring, increase the heat to high, and allow the mixture to gently boil for about 3 minutes. If the bubbling mixture starts to reach the top of the pan, reduce the heat. Remove the pan from the heat. Transfer the mixture to a pourable glass measuring cup or bowl. Stir vigorously to reduce excess heat. Stir in the rum.
- Place the cake back into the Bundt pan, and use a toothpick or skewer to poke the bottom several times. With a spoon, slowly drizzle the rum syrup over the cake. Let the cake stand bottom side up in the pan for at least 3 hours. Inverty the cake onto a serving platter and remove from the pan.
Buttered Rum Drizzle
- Place confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl. Pour the butter over the sugar andwhisk until combined. Add the rum and keep whisking until glossy and almost pourable. Drizzle the glaze along the crown of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Allow the glaze to set for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.