Not only that, but it’s also a great budget-friendly way to make one of the most iconic desserts out there including a vegan pumpkin pie.
14 ingredients for a vegan pumpkin pie recipe
1/2 tsp Ginger, Ground
1 15 oz. Can Pumpkin puree
1 Flax egg
3/4 cup Coconut milk, Full-Fat from a can unsweetened
1/2 cup Vegan butter
1 1/3 cup All-purpose flour
1 cup Brown sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon, Ground
1/4 tsp Cloves, Ground
2 tbsp Cornstarch
1/2 tsp Nutmeg, Ground
1 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Sugar
3 tbsp Water
- To make the crust, start by mixing the flour, sugar and salt together. Then add the cold, cubed vegan butter and cut in with a pastry cutter or using two forks, until mixture has a sandy texture.
- Add just enough cold water until it starts to come together, and can be squished together with your fingers.
- Flour a flat surface and place dough down, shaping into a circle. Roll out into a 12 inch circle with a rolling pin. If the edges crack a bit you can just squish them back together. Use another sprinkle of flour if needed to keep from sticking.
- Roll the dough onto the rolling pin and then unroll on a 9 inch pie pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Chill for 30-60 minutes in the fridge.
- In the meantime, start on the filling: mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cornstarch and salt. Then add the pumpkin puree, coconut milk and flax egg and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Once pie crust has chilled, preheat oven to 425 degrees F and place a small amount of aluminum foil over the center of the crust. Add pie weights, or dry beans or rice to help it not rise. Pre-bake for 10 minutes, then carefully remove aluminum foil and weights and bake another 5-8 minutes, until the center is set and there is no translucence.
- Allow the crust to cool until it’s just warm and not hot. Pour in filling mixture.
- To help the edges not burn, cover them with a pie crust shield or aluminum foil (see video for reference).
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for another 25-30 minutes, or until the center is set.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes and then place on a hot pad in the fridge for 2-3 hours to set, making sure the pan isn’t touching anything else in the fridge.
- Cut and enjoy!
*Be sure to shake the can well before you pour it as the water and coconut cream can separate.
**1 Tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water, let sit for at least 5 minutes to thicken.