Internships offer an unbeatable experience for students hoping to further explore a potential career, or aiming to get their foot in the door of a company for hire after graduation. The time to start looking for the best summer internship is NOW.
By Sylvia Ney
Students and recent graduates looking to get hired, or launch their careers, this summer should start searching for opportunities now. Whether you are in high school, a college student, or a recent graduate, the businesses of Houston and surrounding areas offer you a variety of choices. Below is a list of some of the best summer internship options offered by consistently top-rated companies.
• Apple – At Apple, interns are an important part of the team. Whether you sign on for a summer internship or a co-op during the academic year, you can work on critical projects, in the U.S. and around the world. As part of the Apple community, you’ll get a unique perspective on their process and those who lead it. In addition to internships, Apple is looking for highly motivated student leaders to represent Apple on campus. You’re an ideal candidate if you’re comfortable planning and frequently presenting, already connected with groups and organizations at your school, and excited to expand your network even further. This is more than just a college job — it’s a great opportunity to get your resume off to an incredible start, have some fun, and gain experience that will last a lifetime. They are also seeking individuals to work from your home as an AppleCare College Advisor. These individuals will be part of a team that helps customers by providing world-class technical support. Apple will train you to troubleshoot, give you an iMac, and let you work a schedule designed around your classes. And if you need more training, they’ll provide that, too. If you’re interested in one of these three options, visit: http://www.apple.com/jobs/us/students.html
• BCG – BCG’s internship programs give students a chance to experience life as a consultant. Interns will be mentored by experienced BCG consultants, and will take responsibility for specific components of client projects. While these internships are generally two to three months long, they can vary from a few weeks to a year. Opportunities are now available for both undergrad and grad students. BCG also says they offer a majority of their interns a full time position. For more information: https://www.bcg.com/en-br/careers/path/internships/default1.aspx
• Chevron – Their internship opportunities enable you to use what you’ve learned, expand your knowledge and benefit from invaluable on-the-job experience. They’re a great way to explore the career choices that lie ahead of you. Corporate internship programs include specializing in Land and Business Development, Downstream & Chemical Studies, Earth Science, Engineering, Finance Development, Health and Environmental Safety, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Procurement and Supply Chain studies. Learn more at: http://careers.chevron.com/students/internship_programs/
• Ebay inc – Looking for a company where you can help shape the future of global commerce and impact how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? This purpose driven community is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace with regular social activities, inspiring speakers, and engagement partners to help you make the most of your time. To learn more: https://careers.ebayinc.com/join-our-team/students-recent-graduates/
• Facebook – Consistently rated as a top employer, this company claims to offer tons of exciting opportunities available to both new graduates and interns. To learn more, or apply, visit: https://www.facebook.com/careers/university/
• Google – Getting an internship offer at Google is not an easy thing. It’s been said that getting into Google is even harder than getting into top ivy league schools like Harvard. Yet, every year more than 25,000 applicants are accepted. Check out more information: https://careers.google.com/students/
• H3 Concepts – is dedicated to assisting some of the largest Fortune 500 Companies worldwide. They provide cost effective solutions for charity organizations so that they can make the largest possible impact. Their clients contract with them to diversify their donor base, consult on marketing and advertising projects, and acquire and retain new customers on a face to face platform. H3 Concepts is seeking motivated, energetic team players for entry level and internship positions. The ideal candidate is excited to learn and looking to grow with the company. Learn more: https://www.monster.com/jobs/c-h3-concepts.aspx
• Hewlett Packard – Whether you intend to specialize in engineering, chemistry, material science, computer science, information technology, or business this company provides internships on projects with personalized mentoring and coaching. Accepted applicants will have the opportunity to connect, learn, and make history with 50,000+ fellow employees. To learn more, or apply, visit: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/jobs/working-at-hp.html#!students
• NASA – The Johnson Space Center’s Office of Education provides internship, fellowship and scholarship opportunities to high school, undergraduate and graduate students from across the United States. The internships provide hands-on, mentored experiences aligned with student academic pursuits in science, engineering, communications, education and business majors. Conducted both during the school year and in the summer, these experiences offer students exposure to NASA through professional activities that contribute directly to the execution of NASA’s ongoing missions. To learn more, or apply, visit: https://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/centers/johnson/student-internships/index.html
• Quicken Loans – This intern program is as diverse as the business. From day one, you’ll be working side by side with other team members, gaining priceless, hands-on experience across a variety of fields including Technology, Marketing/Creative, Customer Service, Sales, Human Resources and more. You’ll do real work, earn real pay and hopefully have real fun. They offer paid, full-time internships available all year round. To apply, check out: http://www.quickenloanscareers.com/about-us/internship-program/
• Walt Disney Company – The Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality family entertainment. Join the talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences and guests around the world. Opportunities are now available at a variety of locations. To learn more: https://jobs.disneycareers.com/category/disney-interns-jobs/391-5733-5732/4272/1
• Yahoo! – this company provides a variety of internships for students interested in learning about careers in digital media. Yahoo! offers opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience while also learning the knowledge and skills it takes to be successful in the industry. Each internship is designed for students to experience what it would be like working on a day-to-day basis at Yahoo! Completing a successful internship with Yahoo! could turn into a full-time job or at the very least provide the skills, experience, and contacts required to land a job at another company. To learn more: https://www.thebalance.com/yahoo-offers-students-great-internship-opportunities-1986367
• Other top-rated companies you might consider looking into working with include Broadcom, Exxon Mobil, HC inc, Intel, Liberty Mutual, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, NBC Universal, National Instruments, P&G, Pepsico, Qualcomm, Schlumberger, Shell, State Farm, and Texas Instruments.
While these companies do offer a limited number of options for high school students, many of these opportunities are geared more toward college age applicants. If you wish to learn more about options specifically designed for high school students, please visit: http://www.internships.com/high-school/houston-tx
To specify internships near you, consider visiting http://volunteerhouston.org/college-internships/, at http://www.internships.com/paid/houston-tx, and https://www.looksharp.com/s/summer-internships/houston-tx