With an event that is more than three weeks long with more than 30,000 animals entered in the livestock and horse show and top headliners in the music industry, there is plenty to do and see at this year’s Livestock and Rodeo. But where do you start? As a newbie to Houston myself, that is the question I asked. All of the information was overwhelming, but with the help of some of my rodeo friends, I was able to break it all down for you including tips and tricks on parking, value days and best times for activities! Be sure you check out the history of the Houston Rodeo and the FIVE things we recommend you not miss for the 2017 season!
Download the HOUSTONRODEO App!
It’s true, there is an app for that! The first step is downloading the HOUSTONRODEO app! The apps gives you all the information you need about the daily schedules, activities, tickets and even traffic updates and parking information in and around NRG Stadium! Pretty cool! It’s available on the Apple App and Android App Stores.
This year the Houston Livestock and Rodeo show is offering two ticket options.
- The Grounds Pass – this ticket will allow you to check out everything at NRG Park except for the rodeo and the concert. This means you have access to seeing the livestock, the exhibits and the carnival (rides are separate)
- Rodeo/Concert Pass – This ticket will give you access to everything at NRG Park as well as entry in the NRG stadium for the wildest rodeo action followed by a world-class concert! Weekday performances start at 6:45 p.m. and the concert entertainer performs around 8:45 p.m. Weekends rodeo performance start at 3:45 p.m. and the concert entertainer performs around 5:45 p.m.
Value Days and Deals
Want to make it out to the rodeo on a budget? We’ve got you covered!
- Value Wednesdays! Every Wednesday you can purchase $10 rodeo/concert tickets along with other special values throughout NRG park.
- Tip: Children ages 2 and under are free and don’t require a ticket for entry to any part of the rodeo!
- Half price carnival tickets are on sale on the Houston Livestock and Rodeo show until March 5!
Parking and Transportation
We recommend you check on the HOUSTONRODEO app for recommended parking! If you want to park at NRG Stadium, our best recommendation is to get there EARLY! I personally like the idea of parking in one of the parking structures in downtown Houston and taking the METRORail. Park and Ride, Rodeo Express Bus, METRO Bus, Uber or other transportation options are useful for the rodeo too! You can also check out the Parking and Transportation guide on the Houston Rodeo’s website too.
Did you know that the Houston Rodeo is put on by more than 33,000 volunteers each year? It’s one of the largest non-profits and volunteer organizations in Texas! You can get involved in the Houston Rodeo in so many ways! Whether it be to register for a calf scramble, donate your school art, enter in the Bar-B-Que Contest, get the kids entered to do some mutton bustin’ becoming a sponsor, member or volunteer, there is something for everyone. Visit the GET INVOLVED section of the Houston Rodeo’s website for more details!
Be sure to follow RODEO HOUSTON on social media for the latest news and activities!