Every year the Houston Rodeo has new things to add to the already legendary event! In addition to the history of the Houston Rodeo and our 2017 Houston Livestock and Rodeo Guide, here is a list of five things (in no particular order) you won’t want to miss out on at this year’s Houston Livestock and Rodeo!
- Concert Line Up! Click here for the concert line up for the 2017 Houston Livestock and Rodeo.
- The Parade! The Downtown Rodeo Parade kicks off Saturday, March 4 at 10 a.m. Experience the decorative floats intermingle with thousands of men and women on horseback to fill the streets with hoof beats and marching bands. The parade route begins at Bagby and Walker Streets and travels from Travis to Bell Street and from Bell to Louisiana St. Expect street closures and seek parking in the Theater District. Tips: Arrive early. Best viewing spot is on Lousiana Street from Bell to Lamar!
- Bar-B-Que Competition (and other delicious rodeo food)! More than 250 teams, led by barbecue aficionados, compete in the World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest. While most team tents are invitation-only, visitors can enjoy several public venues, including The Garden, Rockin’ Bar-B-Que Saloon and the Chuck Wagon. Plus, the carnival is open, for wild rides and fun games.
- The Rodeo! The main attraction of course is the bull riding, barrel racing, steer wrestling, bare back riding, tie down roping, saddle bronc riding and who can forget the chuck wagon races. Get up to speed on how the competitions work, who is participating and the schedule under RODEO 101 of the Houston Rodeo’s website.
- The Children’s Attractions! Don’t miss out on these fun activities!
Birthing Center in Oxy AGventure
- Open daily from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Free with the purchase of an NRG Park grounds pass.
- Play-by-play from farmers as they deliver newborn dairy calves, piglets and lambs.
- Welcome baby farm animals to the world and watch them take their first steps, with a little help from their moms.
The Junction Carnival
- Enjoy kid-friendly rides and games in The Junction Carnival.
- Participate in the magic show, see exotic animal acts and belt out your best sing-along at the Stars Over Texas Stage.
- Monday – Friday, 11 a.m. to midnight; Saturday – Sunday, 10 a.m. to midnight. Hours subject to weather conditions. Tickets will not be refunded due to inclement weather.
Mutton Bustin’ in The Junction, presented by State Farm
- Young cowboys and cowgirls get a taste of rodeo action each day in The Junction as they mount sheep and try to hang on for eight seconds.
- The lucky youngsters who hang on the longest receive bragging rights as the toughest kiddos on the grounds.
- Cost is $15 per child.
- Rules for participation and eligibility: Available on a first-come, first-served basis for 5- and 6-year-old participants. Children must weigh under 55 pounds.
- Saddle up and take a ride on pint-sized Welsh ponies, perfect for young cowboys and cowgirls with an adventurous spirit.
- located in OXY AGventure and The Junction.
- Cost is $7 per child; professional photos are offered at an additional cost.
TDECU Fun on the Farm
- located in The Junction.
- Explore the world of agriculture in this hands-on exhibit which teaches youngsters the importance of agricultural products, from farm to market.
- Participate in farm chores such as harvesting crops and tending to livestock.
- free admission with the purchase of an NRG Park grounds pass.