- 2 packages (12 ounces each) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Sweetened whipped cream and orange sections
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until berries pop and mixture is thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- For custard, in a large saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot milk mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Immediately transfer to a clean bowl; stir in vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of filling; refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- To assemble, place half of the cake on the bottom of a 4-qt. trifle bowl or glass bowl; drizzle with 2 tablespoons orange liqueur. Layer with half of the cranberry mixture, 1/4 cup almonds and half of the custard. Repeat layers. Refrigerate, covered, until serving. Top with whipped cream and orange sections.
To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2019 www.tasteofhome.com