- 5 slices bacon
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coconut cream*
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- fresh basil to serve (optional)
For the stovetop:
- Begin by heating a large stockpot to medium high heat. Once hot, spray with cooking oil, then cook bacon for 4-5 minutes per side. Remove the bacon from the pan, reserve 1 tbsp bacon grease in the pot. Return the pot back to the stove, set to medium heat.
- Toss in raw chicken breast, and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken and set aside with the bacon. Return the pot to the stove and keep hot. Add in 1-2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil.
- Now saute the onion, garlic, and mushrooms for about 6-7 minutes. Once fragrant and lightly golden, toss in the diced tomatoes, and chicken broth. Return the chicken to the soup, stir in coconut cream, Italian seasoning, and salt. Reduce heat to a simmer for another 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Top with bacon and fresh basil to serve.
For the Instant Pot:
- Select the saute function on the Instant Pot. Once hot, coat the pot with cooking spray, then add the bacon. Cook until desired crispiness (about 4-5 minutes per side). Remove the bacon and reserve 1 tbsp of the bacon grease in the pot. Keep the saute function on, add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms to the pot. Saute for about 3-4 minutes. Then select cancel.
- Place the raw chicken breast, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, Italian sesoning, and salt into the pot. Secure the lid, and select manual. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, then use a quick release.
- Once steam is completely released, remove the lid and stir in the coconut milk. Serve hot, top with bacon and fresh basil.
*If not following a dairy-free diet, you can also use half and half or cream cheese.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2019 www.wholesomelicious.com