- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into one inch cubes
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 T soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ tsp dry ginger
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper (more or less to liking)
- Optional garnish, green onions, sesame seeds, additional red pepper flakes
- In a mixing bowl add the chicken and cornstarch. Toss until the chicken is completely coated in the cornstarch. In a medium sized skillet over medium high heat add oil and cook the chicken until the chicken is lightly brown but not cooked throughout. Put in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together hoisin sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and crushed red pepper. Pour on top of chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat for 3-4 hours or until chicken is cooked throughout. *see note
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onions, sesame seeds and red pepper flakes if desired.
If you are cooking the chicken without browning in the skillet first, when chicken is finished cooking, remove the chicken and add 1 Tablespoon cornstarch to the sauce. Add the chicken back to the crockpot and cook for an additional 15 minutes until the sauce thickens up. Chicken could also take longer to cook, closer to 4 hours.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2019 therecipecritic.com