- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp red curry paste, such as Mae Ploy or Thai Kitchen
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp peeled and minced ginger
- 2 tsp peeled and minced garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts* (3 large)
- 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch thick diced carrots (3 medium)
- 1/2 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, outer layer removed, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored and sliced into 2-inch strips
- 2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- Cooked jasmine rice or brown rice, for serving
- 1/3 cup chopped unsalted peanuts, for serving
- In a 5 – 7 quart slow cooker stir together coconut milk, chicken broth, red curry paste, brown sugar, coriander, cumin, ginger and garlic. Season lightly with salt (about 1/4 tsp).
- Add chicken, carrots and onions to slow cooker and submerge lemongrass in broth. Cover and cook on low heat until chicken is cooked through and tender, about 5 hours, while adding in bell pepper during last 45 minutes of cooking.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and let rest a few minutes then shred. Remove lemongrass if used.
- Stir peanut butter, lime juice and fish sauce into mixture into slow cooker, then toss in chicken and half of the cilantro.
- Season with a little more salt to taste (I needed another 1/4 tsp). Serve warm with rice, sprinkle with peanuts and remaining cilantro.
- If you can’t find lemongrass, you can omit it. It’s not a make it or break it ingredient in this slow cooker curry, but if you have some on hand I highly recommend using it!
- Trimmed chicken thighs can be used in place of chicken breasts. The cook time would be the same.
- Rice not included in nutrition.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2020 www.cookingclassy.com