While not every kid will grow up to be a professional programmer, learning how to code helps develop critical thinking skills at every age.
Houston’s Coder Kids programs and camps focus on students ages 4 through 18.
Every child is different in their journey to be a coder,” says Coder Kids Jeff Ward. “We have some first graders who pick up Scratch faster than some middle schoolers!”
Here are the TOP FIVE Reasons CODING IS COOL
- Coding teaches problem solving Learning code teaches you to break down difficult problems into smaller steps that you can actually do. You can even learn to think like a computer which could help in other areas of life.
- Coding helps ensure you can always get a job Coding is one of the most in-demand skills now and forever.
- Coding saves time and frustration As a coder, you can automate a lot of the boring stuff you have to do on your computer.
- Coding gives you independence If you can learn the basics, most tools and information are free. You can make your computer, phone or others items do what you want them to do.
- Coding can help you make cool games With code, you can make your own apps, games and even entire websites. Figure out how things work and create projects that are only limited to your own imagination and fun!
At Houston’s Coder Kids, students are typically grouped by ages: Young Coders: Ages 4-7 ; Coder Kids: Ages 7-12; Specialized Advanced Topics (covered below) in classes and summer camps:
- Intro to Python
- Minecraft Playing / Modding
- Swift Playgrounds
Teen Coders: Ages 13-18 have choices of even more advanced topics in summer camps and private lessons (depending on location and instructor availability):
- Arduino (C) and Raspberry Pi (Python)
- Game Maker Studio
- Minecraft Modding in Java
- App Development in Java for Android
- App Development in Swift for iOS
- Intro to Unity / VR
Starting at a younger age is great, but it’s all about getting the basics under their belt to allow them to tackle more complicated topics throughout high school and college.
Visit their WEBSITE for more information, and follow some of the fun throughout the year on Facebook and Instagram: @CoderKidsTX
FOR A GREAT INSIGHT INTO CODER SUMMER CAMPS, CLICK HERE.