5 Tips for Staying on Track During the Holidays. There is so much to LOVE about the holiday season! Creating new traditions with your family, gathering with friends, and most importantly preparing and EATING THE FOOD! Who’s with me?! Mmm….delicious hearty sides, pumpkin everything, and fun holiday cocktails! I can’t wait!
Before you go to town on a cheesy baked brie appetizer, let’s take a minute to talk about holiday weight gain. Did you know the average holiday weight gain is 4-8lbs! If you’ve been on a healthier journey, or even thinking about starting a new health & fitness program, I want you able to not only ENJOY Thanksgiving but eat GUILT FREE without stressing about losing all of your progress! Is there an easy way to stay on track without giving up all the food and fun?
Yes! You can live your best life, enjoy the holiday parties, AND stay on track with your health goals – all at the same time.
Here are 5 tips for staying on track during the holidays:
- Stay Hydrated. Drink plenty of water! Aim for 100 ounces each day. If you’re planning to drink alcohol, alternate with a glass of water.
- Eat Mindfully. Sit down to eat and truly enjoy all the holiday flavors. Be mindful of what you put in your mouth and avoid mindless grazing. Focus on fullness and satisfaction cues.
- Eat balanced macros (carbs, fats, proteins) at each meal to keep blood sugar moderated and avoid insulin spikes. Try to choose healthier, whole food options whenever you can…think fruits, veggies, nuts, meats & cheeses, etc.
- Keep it moving! Go for a quick walk when you have breaks in your day. Invite your family out for some fresh air! Or split your 30-minute workout into intervals and do 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening.
- If your nutrition goes off-plan, just enjoy it and move on. Don’t sabotage the rest of your day or week because of one whoopsie moment. We don’t fall off the wagon, we keep moving forward!